Located about 500 mts off Kanyakumari coast Vivekananda Rock Memorial is a monument built on the Shripada Parai in 1970 by the Vivekananda Rock Memorial Committee in honour of the visit of Swami Vivekananda, the great spiritual teacher, to Shripada Parai in 1892.
Swami Vivekananda swam across the sea to the rock and meditated for three days and three nights and achieved enlightenment of his life's mission.
Off Kanyakumari coast Vivekananda Rock measures about 534’ x 426’ at the water level and has a spacious level top at an altitude of 55 feet. The total area of Vivekananda rock - Kanyakumari is about 4 acres. It is separated from the Thiruvalluvar Rock by a distance of 220 feet and a cluster of stones protruding from the sea between them.
Since time immemorial Shripada Parai has been regarded as a sacred place and is believed to have been blessed by the touch of ‘the sacred feet’ of the Devi Kumari.
Vivekananda Rock memorial was built to be a national monument dedicated to the nation and was built with contributions from all state governments including the north eastern states.
Vivekananda Rock Memorial
The Vivekananda memorial consists of two main structures, the Vivekananda Mandapam and the Shripada Mandapam. A meditation hall (Dhyana Mandapam) is also attached to the memorial for visitors to meditate. It houses a statue of Vivekananda.
Swami Vivekananda’s original name was Narendranath Dutta, it was on the eve of his departure to attend the World Parliament of Religions held in 1893 that he adopted the name Swami Vivekananda. The favorite desciple of his guru Ramakrishna Pramahamsa Swami Vivekananda was instrumental in establishing the Ramakrishna Math at Belur with the aim of serving mankind in order to realise God. He was one of the greatest exponents of Vedanta philosophy.