Vivekananda Rock Memorial was inaugurated in 1970, and dedicated to the nation. Shri Eknath Ranade headed the organizing committe of Vivekananda Rock Memorial and almost all the states in the country contributed to the construction of the memorial.
Kanyakumari district consists of Nanjil Nadu and Idai Nadu and was governed by several rulers. Nanjilnadu was under the rule of Pandiyas till the early 10th century and then under Cheras. Idai nadu was under the rule of cheras. With the decline of Chers Venad gradually established their hold on considerable areas in Nanjilnadu and Idanadu and remained under them for about four centuries. After Marthandavarma from 1634 Kanyakumari was under the British.
During 1947-1956, Kanyakumari was under the personal rule of Maharaja of Travancore. In 1956, Indian States Reorganisation Act was passed and according to this act on 1st November 1956, Kanyakumari District was formed. Initially Kanyakumari district had four Taluks, namely, Thovalai, Agasteeswarem, Kalkulam and Vilavancode. These four taluks were part of Travancore and was merged with Tamil Nadu. During the British rule Kanyakumari was called Cape Comorin
Kumari Amman Temple
The eastern gates of the temple remains closed but for fetival day as the brilliance of the nose ring of the diety at night caused confusions in seafarers while calculating distances!
In 1979, the then Prime Minister Morarji Desai laid the foundation stone for the statue however the work was stopped and resumed only in 1997. At the cost of more than US$1 million the construction was completed on January 1, 2000
Kanyakumari being a holy spot, a 'Triveni' of three seas has been thevenue of the last rituals of many great men including Mahathma Gandi and also the Kumarasami Kamaraj.